If you are looking for yoga poses that will open your heart then this is the perfect article for you because we are going to cover six of the best poses that will open your heart. So, let’s get started.
1. Cobra Pose Or Bhujangasana
If you need a gentle yoga pose that will open your heart then this might be one of the best poses to try.
It is accessible to most people and it offers a soft yet sweet opening through your chest to make new space within your heart.
How Do You Do The Cobra Pose?
- Step 1 – You will need to start off by laying down on the ground on your front.
- Step 2 – In order for you to be comfortable you will need to relax your legs into a position that is comfortable for you. So put them closer together or a little further apart. The key here is to have your legs in a position that is comfortable for you when you draw your body back.
- Step 3 – Next you will need to lift your right foot from the floor and then stretch your toes toward the end of the mat. You can imagine that you are trying to move your right thigh-bone away from your hop. SO make sure to gently spiral your right thigh toward the inside and then release your foot onto your yoga mat. Repeat this process with your left leg.
- Step 4 – At this point you should put your hands right under your shoulders on your yoga mat. It is important to get this position right so you get the right stretch.
- Step 5 – Now you will need to roll your shoulders down and toward your back, make sure that your shoulder blades are together and then soften them down slightly.
- Step 6 – Now, with a bit of enthusiasm you will need to drag your hands backwards towards your feet so that there is traction. This motion will help you to lengthen your spine.
- Step 7 – Hold that position and make sure to lift your head and chest off the floor while taking care to breathe.
- Step 8 – Keep pushing your chest forward and make sure to suck your belly in toward your spine.
2. Melting Heart Pose Or Anahatasana
This pose is quite simple to do and yet it is also beautiful in its simplicity. The way that your spine bends and your focus is on the heart chakra is where the name of this yoga pose comes from.
It is a great yoga pose for those of you that want to make the space around you gentle while also grounding you.
How Do You Do The Melting Heart Pose?
- Step 1 – Start off by getting on your yoga mat and standing on all fours in what is known as the tabletop pose. To get the position right you need to make sure that your shoulders are aligned with your wrists and your hips are aligned with your knees.
- Step 2 – Now you will need to tighten your core so that you get the full benefits of this yoga pose.
- Step 3 – With your hips still aligned over your knees you will need to walk your hands forward a few steps.
- Step 4 – Next, drop your chest toward the ground and try to move your shoulder blades closer together.
- Step 5 – At this point you should be able to rest your forehead or your chin on the floor or a prop that you are using to help get your posture right.
3. Bridge Pose Or Setu Bandha Sarvangasana
The back bending yoga pose is perfect for people of just about any level of yoga. It is also perfect for creating a peaceful and beautiful space within your heart.
It is a great pose to connect your body with your head, metaphorically at least.
How Do You Do The Bridge Pose?
- Step 1 – Start by laying down on your yoga mat. Make sure that you are laying on your back and have your feet flat on the floor. Your hips should also be a hips distance apart and aligned with your knees.
- Step 2 – With your body in position you can now rest your arms at your side. Make sure that your palms are facing upwards before you move onto the next step.
- Step 3 – Next, you will need to mildly lift your chest off the mat and then move your shoulder blades closer together. With your shoulder blades in position you can move your chest back down to the mat.
- Step 4 – Now, you will need to make sure that your heels are grounded and then move your feet apart. Next, move your knees pointed towards each other. Make sure that all of these actions are activated through your pelvic girdle.
- Step 5 – Take a slow deep breath in and then lift your hips off the floor. Get your hips as high as possible and try to point your knees in the direction of your feet.
- Step 6 – With a bit of wiggling you should be able to interlace your hands so that they can interlace behind you. Now all that is left is to hold this position for a few minutes and feel that connection to your heart.
4. Camel Pose Or Ustrasana
If you are looking for a yoga poise that is quite a powerful heart opener then look no further than the camel pose.
It is seemingly gravity defying but with a little practice and strength you should be able to do it quite easily.
How Do You Do The Camel Pose?
- Step 1 – You will need to start off by kneeling down on your yoga mat. Depending on what is more comfortable you can tuck your toes behind you or you can leave them untucked.
- Step 2 – Move your hand to your lower back, just above where your tailbone is. You can move your fingers to any position that feels comfortable to you personally.
- Step 3 – At this point you will need to roll your shoulders down toward your tailbone and then move your shoulder blades closer together before you move your elbows tight against your core.
- Step 4 – Suck your belly in slightly and tense your core.
- Step 5 – Now, you will need to push your hands forward slightly and use your hips to lean more forward.
- Step 6 – At this point you can move your arms backwards to hold onto your ankles. Hold that position and then try to regain the composure that you have lost.
5. Upward Bow pose Or Urdhva Dhanurasana
This yoga pose has quite a deep back bend which makes it a little less accessible for some people. But it is really good at strengthening your body and improving your mobility.
But that is not all, it is also a fantastic pose that will almost certainly expand and open your heart center.
How Do You Do The Upward Bow Pose?
- Step 1 – We talked about the bridge pose in number three. For this yoga pose you will need to get into the same position as step one on the bridge pose. So make sure that you are laying down on your yoga mat. Make sure that you are laying on your back and have your feet flat on the floor. Your hips should also be a hips distance apart and aligned with your knees.
- Step 2 – With your body in the correct position you will now need to extend your arms over your head and place your palms on the ground as flat as you can. Make sure that your arms are a shoulders width apart and that your fingers are pointed at your feet.
- Step 3 – Try to move your elbows so that they are snug against the central line of your body.
- Step 4 – Take a deep breath in and push down on your hands and feet until you have lifted your hips and chest off the floor.
- Step 5 – Scratch your chest as high as it can go until you have arched your back as far as you can go without hurting yourself.
6. Lotus Seal Or Padma Mudra In Sukhasana
This is an extremely simple to do and it also allows you to deeply connect with your heart and the compassion and self-love that you should feel for yourself.
How Do You Do The Lotus Seal?
- Step 1 – Take a seat on your yoga mat and cross your legs =. Try to tilt your pelvis forwards so that you lengthen your spine. Move around until you have a comfortable cross-legged position.
- Step 2 – Relax your body and then move your palms up until they are central to your chest and nearest to your heart.
- Step 3 – Make sure to keep your pinky fingers and thumbs together. On top of that you should make sure that the heel of your hands are dressed together while your fingers are splayed open to create a kind of lotus shape.
- Step 4 – Close your eyes and take a deep breath as you bow your head ever so slightly.
We hope that you have enjoyed this article and learning all about these six yoga poses that will open your heart.