People ask John & I all the time, “What do YOU eat?” Basically, we eat healthy, we eat fresh, we eat organic, we eat local, but most importantly, we EAT. We love food. We are Italian after all, so our taste buds are as developed as our unibrows. So it is with a great deal of pleasure that I will occasionally bring you a little Menu. Here is “What We Eat!”
This recipe is one that I could easily eat every week if there weren’t so many other great meals begging to be subbed in. It’s fast, it’s easy, and it’s seriously delicious. Don’t ask me about calories because I don’t know, but I feel safe saying this is a “light” meal. Unless you put sour cream on the side, which I sometimes do, but that’s your call my friend!
Rainbow Chard & Rice
Ingredients: 1 bunch of Rainbow Chard, 1 medium yellow onion, 1/4 cup oil (your choice, I prefer evoo), 1 cup water (OR broth for extra flavor), 2 tablespoons of curry, 2 cups rice (again, your choice, I like basmati), flax oil
1. Start rice. Chop Onion. Separate chard stalks from leaves & chop each pile up.
2. Warm oil in skillet or wok on medium. Put in chopped up onion until soft, about 3 mins.
3. Add just the chopped up chard STALKS w/ half of the water or broth, about 3 mins.
4. Add chard leaves & stir in curry powder, stirring occasionally, about 3 mins.
5. Add rest of water or broth, cover and steam 3-5 mins (to your preference, I like mine really green).
6. Plate, squirt on some flax oil, add any condiments you like (sour cream or even a chutney) and ENJOY!
This will serve 2 hungry people as your main meal or 4 regular people if you also offer a salad or something else. I’m sorry I don’t have a photo but we ate it before I could take a picture! It’s that good 🙂